Hi all -
May is Preeclampsia Awareness Month- so I am making you aware!
As you may know, I was diagnosed with preeclampsia at 25 weeks in my pregnancy with Elora . It rocked my world more than anything before. My case was severe and it forced me to deliver her at 26 weeks. Many people (like myself) don't know what preeclampsia is, it's warning signs, or how serious it can be. I am so thankful to be a preeclampsia survivor and have received the best care I could during that time. Many woman have much more difficulty than I did in terms of recovery and side effects. I was able to be discharged 3 days after she was born, then it took me about a 3-4 weeks after to get my symptoms (severe headache, swelling, chest pain, and high blood pressure) under control. For many women, they are kept in the ICU long after baby is born due to difficulties.
Preeclampsia is a serious - and rather common - complication of pregnancy and postpartum period, dangerous to both the mother and her unborn baby. It is characterized by high blood pressure and protein in the urine. Other signs and symptoms may include swelling, headaches, and visual disturbances. Knowing the warning signs may lead to more timely diagnosis and better outcomes.
If you or someone you know is pregnant and experiencing something "off" (swelling, headaches, lack of need to go to the bathroom, visual disturbances, etc), please be sure a doctor is called immediately. Although there is no cure for preeclampsia (other than delivery), the sooner one is diagnosed and treated the better.
I didn't take any pictures of myself during the peak of preeclampsia - I probably should have so that I would have something to remind me, but at the time I didn't want any taken. I gained 30 pounds the week I was diagnosed (all water weight), so you can imagine how beautiful I was feeling :) But, I do have a picture of my swollen foot (my "elephant foot" as I called it) to show you. No bones or veins were visable. Imagine that on my phone body, including my face - my eyes were slits.
Please pray that a cure will be found for this condition. It is one of the oldest recorded conditions in the world (records are shown from over 2,000 years ago) and it remains one of the leading causes of death in women in underdeveloped countries.

No comments:
Post a Comment