Saturday, December 17, 2011

I can do it all by myself!


I suppose that whenever someone has children, they think about and anticipate key milestones in their kids' lives.  Graduations, first kisses, weddings and the like are probably the types of things that come to mind.  Being the parent of a micro-preemie, we have the pleasure of having a few more big events that we have been thrilled to celebrate.  We've already enjoyed Elora getting to come home from the hospital, reaching 10 pounds, and now, we get to add the fact that she is done with her oxygen support!  Elora has been breathing on her own for the quite a while now, but she still had a little bit of extra oxygen being blown into her nose so that she can maintain the right levels of oxygen in her system.  This has been key in her growth and development because it has allowed her to spend her energy on growing instead of on working to breathe. 

Leading up to the decision to take her off of the oxygen, last week Elora had a little test.  Babies tend to breathe more shallowly during the night while they sleep.  So, we took her off of oxygen for a night and hooked her up to a monitor that constantly measured and recorded the oxygen saturation levels in her system.  The outcome of this test is what the doctor looked at to make the final decision that she could come off of oxygen. 

So, Sarah is now in a picture taking frenzy as we get used to our little girl's new look!  I'm sure more pictures will be coming to the blog.  :)  Actually, I kind of feel like I do when I am used to seeing someone in glasses and then they take them off.  It is obviously the same person and they look the same, but there is something different to get used to.  In any case, we are thrilled that we have reached this next big step in Elora's growth and health.  As far as Sarah and I are concerned, this is the best Christmas present we could have received.  When I think back to those early days when the outcome was much less certain, I am grateful that we have such a great reason to celebrate today.   

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful news! She is beautiful & now we can see that sweet face!!!! Praise God.

    ReplyDelete