Monday, July 22, 2013

Ronald McDonald House Meal

We have a special place in our hearts for the Ronald McDonald House at Children's Hospital-Minneapolis.  It was a place a refuge, meals, rest, and comfort for us while Elora was in the hospital for four months after she was born. Many Ronald McDonald Houses are nearby hospitals, but Children's hospital in Minneapolis has one right in it and it's on the same floor as the NICU.  Huge blessing!!

Peter and I along with our families and friends had many, many meals at Ronald McDonald House two summers ago. It was an amazing resource to us and we feel so overwhelmed with gratitude for the difference it made in our experience. As many people do when they have a heart-connection with something, we want to support them and what they do for families with critically ill children.

So, with the financial support of my mother-in-laws employer, we prepared and served Sunday brunch for (we guess) between 50-70 people. We had such a blast working together to provide something to families who are in a very hard place. 

I had the opportunity to speak with some preemie parents and grandparents. One mom I spoke with had just given birth to 27-week twin boys a week prior (due date mid Oct) after being on bed rest in the hospital for five weeks prior to that. She was at the very beginning of the preemie journey that I know so well. I was able to offer her a lot of encouragement and introduce her to Elora. When she asked "is she ok now?"  I was able to share her story and the miracles that happened. It was a day that two years ago I couldn't imagine I wou ld have. How thankful we are to be on this side of the story and can look back and say thank you to God.

Here are some pictures of the day!











1 comment:

  1. SO cool Sar! What a great experience! I loved the story about the new preemie mom you were able to encourage. I remember walking down that first hall and looking at the framed photos of "then" and "now" preemie stories--so amazing!

    ReplyDelete